Whether your getting your house ready to sell or you just want to spruce it up a bit, we have some ideas on how you can do it — and for very little moola! Who doesn’t like the sound of that? Here are some great tips from HG TV’s Design on a Dime.
1. Layer a Small Rug or a Larger One. Large area rug with a lot of detail are typically quite pricey. So, if you already have small patterned carpet in an area that could use a large one, place a larger, inexpensive sisal rug below to give it the feel of a large area rug.
2. Frame Black & White Pictures. There are black and white pictures everywhere. If you frame them, they make a sophisticated wall display. So find some black and whites you like – they could be photographs, drawings or even pages out of magazines and frame them with inexpensive black frames. You can find affordable frames at places like IKEA, Target and Aaron Brothers (wait for the buy one, get the other for a penny sale). For big prints, do three on a wall, for small, five or six is apt.
3. Shop Hotel Liquidators for Furniture. Hotel liquidators buy furniture from hotels when they are redecorating. They’re often in great condition and even stylish. Search the internet for hotel liquidators and your city. Oh and when in doubt, if you can’t find what you need there, search craigslist where you’re bound to find it….eventually!
4. Declutter Your Bookcases. You don’t need to cover every inch of a bookcase. Leave some shelves empty except for a single, beautiful object. Or group things by size or color. IKEA and CB2 are great sources for affordable bookcase units.
5. Wallpaper the Powder Room. There is so much beautifully designed wallpaper today, but most of it is very expensive, particularly if you’re doing an entire room. A great compromise that also allows for a big impact is to wallpaper a powder room. It’s a great surprise when someone walks in. It’s a good idea to go to an expensive wallpaper store, find what you like and then go search for something similar online or even at places like Home Depot or Lowes.
6. Add a Mirror to Any Room. Mirrors do a lot for a room. They add ambient light and the frame draws the eye. Place a mirror behind a lamp to reflect light.
7. Freshen Up Bedroom Furniture. It’s amazing what paint, stain, new pulls or knobs will do to some tired bedroom furniture. For an updated look combine paint and stain. So paint the cabinet doors and then stain the rest of the piece.
8. Display Collections on Old Silver Trays. Do you collect? If so, display your collection on a silver tray. You can probably find them at thrift stores, flea markets or garage sales. Clean them up with silver cleaner or lemon juice and they’ll be good as new!